Monday, April 27, 2009

Six Weeks from Tomorrow?

So how do I feel now that I’ve had a few days to live with the decision? I haven’t had any second thoughts – I’m excited about the opportunity. It’s funny – my initial reaction was that maybe after this I’ll just live in the United States when I get back – and at the same time I was getting emails from people saying that maybe international development is my calling. I was sending a lot of resumes in that direction and did have another interview – but all of a sudden domestic non-profits have started to look more interesting. We’ll see, of course – maybe what I would really like is to base myself here and go abroad for work (and, of course, fun) occasionally. But first, let’s do this!

Now that I’m not sending out resumes, I don’t feel any less busy. I want to read up on the Philippines (I didn’t read that much on Morocco beforehand because I figured I would be taking the books along with me – plus we had all of that training before we were really out on our own), I want to write up my post-service trip and more here, I have a class and an independent study to work on, I have a week where I’ll be going through my storage space in Chicago, and I have a bunch of other things on my list should I get everything else done. I have to figure out what to bring – and what of that I already have vs. what I have to shop for.

And I do want to have some fun. This weekend the weather was summer-like – finally a day where I wanted to spend a good part of it outside. When I get back it will be winter again! In New York the trees were in bloom and it seemed as though everyone in Manhattan was out in Central Park. I don’t know how much time I’ll have to see friends before I go, but I’d like to do some of that too! Though six weeks will go by quickly, I’m trying not to feel stressed about it! If I look at it in chunks – two weeks until I go to Chicago, almost two weeks in Chicago, two weeks after I get back from Chicago – I am not sure whether that makes it seem like more time or less.

And the Peace Corps screening nurse just called me. I hit a magic age so I need some additional tests before I go…

No comments:

Post a Comment