Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Forms, forms, forms

The invitation packet that I received last Monday included not only a link to the Welcome Book but also a letter, a book and forms. Perhaps most important was that the invitation says I'm scheduled to depart on or around June 14 - a big difference from June 7! Enclosed was a Volunteer Handbook (printed, not a link - again, I think there's a lot that won't apply, but it'll be interesting refresher reading) and a bunch of forms - passport application (my Peace Corps passport is still valid but because of Philippine visa requirements I need a new one), legal update, registration form, life insurance form, banking form for electronic funds transfer, privacy act waiver, hometowner questionnaire (I listed myself as living in Southampton - maybe I'll get in the local paper?), authorization to use any photos or writings for promotional purposes, information on personal property overseas insurance (I had just cancelled mine), and core expectations for Peace Corps Volunteers (I look at those in a new light after my Human Capital Management course, in which core values and competencies were discussed as something that with-it organizations have). You can find these at http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn.howvol.expect - I think that’s better than my typing them all up here. Another good refresher.

The medical packet that I received last Tuesday contained a list of what I need to do to get cleared – get additional tests (EKG, G6PD (never heard of it, but wikipedia indicates that people with this deficiency can have problems with antimalarial medications), occult blood) and updated immunizations (typhoid, rabies, Japanese encephalitis), fax in my the results of my recent doctors’ appointments, sign a HIPAA form, get my doctor to sign a form saying that I am physically fit and can endure hardships. No new dental needed, though I happen to have a cleaning already scheduled for next week. When I faxed in the results of my recent eye exam, they called needing more specifics. I had been diagnosed with secondary cataracts back in Rabat and given a form to have them checked out at Peace Corps expense within six months of returning (I wonder if I will really get reimbursed, but that’s neither here nor there right now). I was sent a new form for the doctor to fill out; I brought it to the doctor’s office last week and they faxed in the notes from the visit. On Friday, Peace Corps called for still more information – basically, a statement that I can go without another exam or any treatment while I am away. Everything should be all right now, but the thought of that holding up my clearance did scare me a bit. It was my cataracts that made me medically restricted before – even though per their list, what restricts you is unoperated cataracts and mine had been operated on. I finally decided back then that if I was restricted to a country with superior medical care, why fight it. The Philippines is one of the countries to which they evacuate PCVs from other countries who need medical attention, but I think the best thing to do is stay healthy, both here and there.

P.S. On May 6, we received a new form via email, to be emailed back ASAP - a swine flu intake form.

No comments:

Post a Comment