Monday, May 11, 2009

Ready to be Ready

I contacted my Peace Corps Response recruiter today to make sure that I could schedule the Foreign Service Officer Test for early June and she said that my departure date has now been confirmed by post as June 22. My immediate reaction was disappointment – I am ready to get ready! When I had the interview, the expected departure date was June 7. That was fine; as long as I was able to keep my planned trip to Chicago to go through storage, two years in the making, and my annual trip to Princeton for Reunions, I was good to go, though I felt a little pressed for time. When I got the invitation letter a week later, the departure date was June 14; my reaction then was relief – glad to have a little more time after those trips. Ultimately I think I will also be happy to have this additional extra time – I can work on finishing up my Strategies in Non-Profit Management Certificate, I can continue writing up my post-Morocco trip, I can see some more of the East End of Long Island and/or enjoy more of the warmer weather here in Southampton, I can see friends, I can – relax? But it was that kind of day – scheduling the test required some back and forth, hoped-for packages and mail for did not arrive. I realize these are minor problems compared to the stressful life of many readers out there, but it just felt like there was a disturbance in the Force today. I’ve gone from six weeks from when I started the blog to six weeks from today! Then again, I already knew patience and flexibility were important in the Peace Corps. They have a great booklet, “A Few Minor Adjustments.” I can adjust!

Anyway, the good news is that my independent study (on the use of social media by/for non-profits) and my class (not cancelled, as the March and April ones were; this one is on marketing for non-profits) will segue nicely into my assignment. While looking for information for the class, I found that Habitat for Humanity’s main web site has a nice description of its projects in the Philippines: http://www.habitat.org/intl/ap/160.aspx

And since I am ready to be ready, here is the description I received about my first month or so there:

Peace Corps Philippines will provide an orientation upon arrival which will include project specific information, culture and language introduction, safety and security, Emergency Action Plan, medical, administrative policies and procedures, vacation and time off, reporting requirements, introduction to PC staff and swearing-in.

A four-week immersion on HFHP operations, including the resource development process shall likewise be arranged for the designated PCRV. The PCRV shall be provided an orientation by HFHP both at the national and community levels. Session topics will include: Habitat International profile, HFHP’s vision, mission, and mission principles, HFHP organization, overview of HFHP programs and projects, volunteer guidelines and ethics, administrative policies/procedures, staff introduction, culture of the receiving country, among others.

See – adjusting already!

No comments:

Post a Comment