Monday, December 14, 2009

Stories from the Past and Thinking about the Future

A couple of other things from the trip north that I wanted to mention: The Villa Angela in Vigan is where Tom Cruise and Willem Dafoe stayed when filming “Born on the Fourth of July” nearby. Also, in San Juan, an artist came around selling his paintings. On White Beach in Puerto Galera, they try (pretty aggressively) to sell you pearls and massages, and when you say no they will tell you about themselves or otherwise try to converse. This artist was quiet, but he showed me several paintings. Beach scenes, hut scenes – I didn’t buy a lot of art in Morocco (just plenty of rugs!) and while I liked the art he showed me, I didn’t consider buying one, because there was no way I could carry a painting around. He took one off of its frame and rolled it up – but still, I couldn’t have carried one! He said he was trying to earn money to exhibit in Baguio. And then my heart went out to him and I started to cry – I thought of the shoe shine person in Morocco who was working so hard for just five or ten dirham per shine. There are so many people here who are poor and desperate – I see the Habitat people and I know they will have better housing, I see beggars (not as many as in Morocco) and occasionally give them money, the Salvation Army bellringers are out this month at the malls and I drop in some change every other day or so, but it was the artist who got to me. I gave him some money and told him it was to support art. If I see him again this weekend.... Well, I am going home and I could potentially carry a rolled-up canvas with me...but then I would have to fall in love with a piece.

And a story that I didn't tell at the time, but continues to have legs - as the Veterans Day reception wore down, I'd thought the Ambassador had long gone, but someone told me she was still there. I thought it would be cool to meet her, as did Drew, so he and I walked towards her. She was headed to her car, so we broke into a sprint, while Bill and Julie watched in horror, waiting for us to be taken down by her security force. She was too fast for us (I might get a chance to meet her next week when she says goodbye in the Peace Corps office; a new ambassador has been named), but now the image of us running after her makes me laugh. What were we thinking?

Another story – I was in the elevator at work the other day, with the 26th floor button pressed. Someone else got on the elevator and said, “Where are you going?” Could I be going to 26, maybe? I realize that it’s the equivalent of, “how are you?” but in that setting it just seemed so odd.

And – the story I put together is on the Peace Corps web site – find it at http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=resources.returned.response.volstories.philippines

Speaking of the Peace Corps office...being there on Friday brought out all sorts of emotions. The last time I was there it was early in my service - now it is close to the end. The time has really flown. If I don't go next week, in all likelihood the next time I go there will be for the COS paperwork. I realized how sad the thought of leaving is for me. I like it here! Intellectually, I'm getting ready - transitioning to finishing up work, for example - but emotionally, it's not that easy. I had said I wouldn't plan my next travels until I was back from the Thanksgiving trip, but now I have to - brought my, "Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and the Greater Mekong" book with me this weekend to map out a trip - the one-way ticket to Bangkok worked last year but it's not going to work this time, with flights between destinations and multiple countries in mind. The end is near.... I didn't seriously consider extending (this is an assignment that could never end, so I thought it would be best to end it at the original set time to end - besides, with all the changes at Habitat, I'm not sure it would have been possible from their end). I'm not as sad as I was at the thought of leaving Morocco - for the final three months, I was bursting into tears at random moments that would strike me - and maybe sad is the wrong word entirely (is wistful better?). In addition to the Peace Corps staff - I don't know them well, but the ones I do know have been friendly and helpful - I saw several PCVs I've met before, in for their mid-service medicals. I don't know if I will see them again. I didn't make many close friendships, but there are some that I like quite a lot. I'll miss people here. Hanna told me that she doesn't want to be by herself when Julie and I leave - she is thinking of going home to Mindanao when her contract ends, and finding something there. She was alone for a year and a half before I arrived - working at one end of the building and then staying at the other end, cooking her rice three times a day and watching her TV.

The COS trip is taking shape. A weekend in the Philippines - maybe hiking Pinatubo or whitewater rafting or visiting another beach, depending on friend availability. Then fly into Saigon (all right, Ho Chi Minh City), slow boat to Phnom Penh, fly to Vientiane, fly if I can or bus to the Plain of Jars, fly to Hanoi, a couple of days on a boat to Halong Bay, fly to Hue - there are three UNESCO sites near there, but depending on the timing, one may have to do. Then back to Manila for a day or two to detox at The Farm. All of this is subject to air fares and flight times, but at least I have a plan now. Then I'll fly into Los Angeles, spend some time there, get (via car?) up the coast of California, and Amtrak across the country, along the same route and with approximately the same stops as last year's Drive Across America (which is still to be posted...as will this year's once-in-a-lifetime trip for the second time in two years...in travelsintheoffseason.blogspot.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment