Thursday, June 18, 2009

Apple, Habitat, Peace Corps and Travel Warnings

I had just posted about computer stress on travelsintheoffseason.blogspot.com when more computer stress came my way. Coincidence? My power cord frayed; the exposed wires were a little unnerving, to say the least – and then the power cord gave up entirely. Also my battery may not be holding its charge, and my fan has been on more than usual. I’m going into Manhattan tomorrow and will bring my computer in for a checkup – all I can say is that I’m glad this happened now and not a month from now.

This week I am doing anyway some of what I had planned to do when I thought I would be leaving this coming weekend. First, I read the Habitat for Humanity Philippines web site and Annual Report – I had skimmed them and printed them out for my non-profit class but hadn’t really read them yet. I ended up not using them for the class, but reading them makes me again wonder – what can I do? They seem to have a lot of partners already and a solid marketing plan. Of course, I am sure I will bring a fresh perspective and lots of expertise. I don’t want to think of too many ideas until I see things for myself – I have to do what they want to do, not impose my own thoughts of what I think they should do! See how well I learned that from Peace Corps Morocco?

Reading the Annual Report caused the proverbial light bulb to go off above my head – since I am here for an extra few weeks, maybe I can volunteer with a Habitat for Humanity group nearby to get in some volunteering before I volunteer! I was looking for a place to go on July 4th weekend (I won’t see how they celebrate July 4th in the Philippines after all). First I thought I would go to New Orleans – I have wanted to help out there since Katrina. Then I thought I would go to a Habitat site nearby. Then I went to serve.gov and volunteermatch.org to find anything for July 4th – turns out it is just not a volunteer holiday. So I’m making other plans – but also thinking about going to a Habitat site nearby during the week for a day or two in the next couple of weeks.

I also read the Peace Corps Volunteer Handbook – I had read it back in 2006, of course, but they sent me a new one for a refresher. Reading it, I remember how overwhelming it seemed back then – I never questioned my decision once I decided to go, but reading about the potential hardships and all of the policies, I realize I took quite a leap of faith. I’m also reading the Peace Corps Philippines Welcome Book one more time before I leave; I read that back in April.

And I’m in the middle of reading all the Travax printouts that the travel medicine clinics gave me – not only for the Philippines but also for other countries in Southeast Asia to which I could potentially travel. So many diseases and other warnings – crime, dangers for women traveling alone, civil unrest, natural disasters. Another leap of faith required! Either that or I should stop reading the warnings and be content with my vaccinations.

And my new ski lock. Recently I read a column in the Times by Nicholas Kristof (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/opinion/31kristof.html?scp=3&sq=travel%20safely%20&st=cse) on safety precautions to take when traveling in developing countries. One I decided to implement was buying a ski lock so I can lock my bag when on a train or in a budget hotel. Had I known, I’d have gotten one before Morocco! In truth, I really decided to get it after reading about some of the volunteer accommodations in New Orleans. But it can’t hurt to have one with me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment