Thursday, June 11, 2009

A New Confirmed Departure Date (Later Than the Old Confirmed Departure Date)

On Sunday night I reorganized most of my stuff. A box of winter clothes (and one interview outfit) to be sent to Martha – I’ll stop and get them on my return, and give her any non-jettisoned summer clothes. A box of winter clothes and interview clothes for here, where (inshallah) I’ll base myself again. A box of things that I won’t really need until I get to my next apartment. A few things to use before I leave (such as my running clothes for a 5K this weekend – I am leaning towards not taking them), and the rest to be packed in my suitcase.

Yesterday I was in Philadelphia, where I had my final shots (third shot in both the rabies series and in the Japanese encephalitis series), and I heard from my doctor that that last sample I dropped off was normal. So with that last hurdle conquered, there should be nothing holding up my medical clearance. On the way back from Philadelphia I thought of all the things I wanted to do between now and my confirmed departure date of June 21 or 22 (that did give me pause – I think it was the 21st over the phone and the 22nd in an email) and I thought I would call on Friday just to make sure all systems were go for leaving next week.

And then I looked at my email this morning – now I have a confirmed departure date of July 12. Given the extensive visa process (maybe I’ll devote an entry to that) this should allow time for all visas to be processed and for all seven PCRVs (who knew?) to have the same arrival date. This correspondence seemed pretty official so maybe this really is the date.

In the email we were all thanked for our flexibility and patience – which was a reminder of how often I said that being in the Peace Corps, and being in Morocco, made me more flexible and patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment