Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Packing List

Well, now it seems as though I’m bringing a lot more than I need to. But I have these things – I may as well bring them! The good news is that I will leave some behind and have room for things I buy there or afterwards. Nice T-shirts – three from Morocco and three I’ve acquired since and have been wearing. The T-shirt from the 5K I ran here and shorts to use as pajamas, and another pajama-intended T-shirt set. Two pairs of Moroccan pants and three skirts I wore in Morocco. Two quick-dri capris I wore in Morocco and a nicer pair that I’ve acquired since. A windbreaker I rescued from the storage space and a lightweight sweater I bought this week (I am not expecting air-conditioning where I live or work, but maybe I can use it on the plane – and maybe I will use it a lot more than I think). One fun gauzy shirt and one long-sleeved blouse.

Undies, bras, socks – all worn in Morocco (when I come back I may get all-new! Or maybe while I am in the Philippines!). An old bathing suit and a new one that I bought this spring. Running shoes and running clothes – I was wavering about these but am glad I decided to bring them. Tevas for everyday wear and Merrell thongs to wear around the living quarters. Several bags – in addition to the big suitcase, the rolling bag and the backpack (and the aforementioned ski lock) – a fanny pack for running, a reusable bag, a money pouch to hide under clothes, plus my pocketbook.

Books that aren’t in the mail – Culture Shock Philippines, Lonely Planet Philippines, one pleasure book, a couple of crossword books. Books that are – Rough Guide to Southeast Asia, a couple of other travel books, a pleasure book. Tagalog dictionary and a good map of the Philippines. I won’t detail the toiletries and cosmetics other than to mention my discovery of 2009 – the neti pot. How did I live without one for so long?

A few magazines – New Yorker and Real Simple. A lot of DVDs – my friend Gary TiVoed every Survivor and Amazing Race episode while I was away. I really could have used them in Morocco, but he didn’t transfer them to DVD until I got back. So I probably won’t have time to watch them at all! But I’d like to. The Amtrak cross-country schedule, so I can think about my trip home.

A couple of hats. An umbrella. My spare pairs of eyeglasses. “Don’t care if I lose it” jewelry, as the Philippines Welcome Book put it. Camera, computer, USB drive, address book, calendar, some pens and paper. Decks of cards and teeny-tiny Boggle. A Circle Line souvenir picture of my nieces and me that was left behind when my sister and her family moved to a new apartment. And last but not least, my ultra-soft pillow.

2 comments:

  1. I always overpack on trips but in your case, you may need to given lenght of stay and who knows what will be available???!!! Can't wait to hear all about your new journey!!

    Joel S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hear everything is available but until I see for myself I say better safe than sorry...

    ReplyDelete