Friday, July 17, 2009

A Personalized Welcome Letter

On Monday I emailed the Peace Corps Response recruiter just to see how things were going – she said she would be picking up the visas today and then will email us Monday. Then on Wednesday I received (via email) a Welcome Letter from the Peace Corps Response Program Coordinator in the Philippines – first we have heard from the staff in-country. He mentioned meeting our flight in Manila on July 27; I took that as a sign that I could mail my change-of-address cards. A big step (or maybe it is a small step and getting the plane ticket will be a giant leap?)!

Other things of note from the letter (in addition to expected mention of Peace Corps policies, that is – and additional words of support and welcome):
- the Peace Corps Response program is relatively new in the Philippines. The last PRCVs there have already completed their assignments, and for this fiscal year there will be a total of eleven new PCRVs at seven partner organizations.
- no vacation first 30 days or last 30 days (I predicted this).
- a big shopping mall where I may want to unwind and relax (his words – or am I just assuming he’s a he?) is 30 minutes from where I will be living and working.
- since I will be living in Metro Manila I should be able to get most, if not all, essential items (again, predicted). He said to come prepared with rain gear (I do have a raincoat and an umbrella….is that enough?) as well as proper protection from sun exposure (ironically, this is something I had not stocked up on, because the PCMO in Morocco gave us great sunblock) and adequate supplies of mosquito repellent (ditto – so I went into town and bought some mosquito repellents at the health food store; however, I don’t know what adequate means in this context, so more may need to be sent). I will receive malaria prophylaxis, though there is not a high incidence of malaria in my area. I wonder if we get mosquito nets? We did in Morocco – I cut mine up and made it into window screens (that is, Youssef did it for me!).
- laptop will be useful in the Philippines (already planning to take it) – there are internet cafes in the neighborhood and nice coffee shops in the mall that have wifi (I wonder if this means I will not have access in my room at the conference center where I'm staying - or in the office where I'll be working?).
- I will be taking a Volunteer oath (I had been wondering about that!). And then he will endorse (does that mean take? or send?) me to the Habitat for Humanity Philippines office.

For the first time in a while, I feel as if I am really going! I’m excited! But I don't want to get my hopes up too high in case it changes again. And scared – and relaxed – and anxious – and overwhelmed - and moving right along - and happy – and I already miss everyone. All of those things!

7 comments:

  1. Hi there newly offical Peace Corps Response Recruiter! I am a returned volunteer from the Philippines and I am fascinated by your blog (s). Please keep it up. You will find it very easy to get internet access anywhere in Manila - especially in the malls. Internet Cafe's are very cheap.

    If you want any advice from someone who stayed four years in Manila and returns every two, I would say don't bring hardly anything, don't stock up an anything, don't worry! Manila might as well be downtown SF as far as what's available and it'll be cheaper and make airline travel easier for you. You can get a mosquito net if you want, there are certainly mosquito's in Manila, but there won't be big disease problems probably where you are at. That depends on your comfort level. Again, you can buy that in country and they have them that fit easily over your bed. If you wear glasses or contacts, don't stock up on those either!! You can get those so much cheaper in country you'll wonder why it costs so much in the States!

    The part that is not like a big US city is the poverty. If you can find some vidoes or tourist information magazines that tell you more about the Philippines, that would be my recommendation because they will help your feeling of shock at the poverty in the country.

    It's a great place to live and you will likely find many lifelong friends - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marnee! It is nice to "meet" you - and if you are there during the next six months it would be nice to meet in person!

    I already had the spare glasses because Peace Corps insisted pre-Morocco. They cost $714! I remember clearly because that is a Babe Ruth number. But I do need a new prescription - maybe I will bring it with me and get it filled there.

    As for the toiletries, I thought about it more and I realized I didn't want to get there and immediately say, "I need shampoo." I don't have six months' worth - just more than a travel size. I am bringing significant amounts of single-use eye drops and eye scrubs because they are relatively new here, and Secret and Q-Tips, because I identified those as things for which substitutes won't do!

    I'm wondering if Peace Corps supplies mosquito nets. If not, I'm unlikely to buy one.

    Good recommendation about the videos or tourist magazines. I am thinking of the shantytowns I have seen in St. Maarten, South Africa and Casablanca in order to prepare myself. My job description mentioned the importance of home ownership to the Filipinos and how big an issue it is to build homes for the poor - your advice helps to put in perspective how much of a difference Habitat for Humanity could make there. And I hope I can make a difference for Habitat for Humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definately going to be making a big difference. Yes, shantytowns is a good comparison. Home ownership is a very difficult to obtain goal for many people there - as I'm sure you are familiar with from what looks like your past extensive travel! You will find an incredible mix of poverty and luxery there. I don't remember if PC supplied us with nets, but they might if you ask!

    Best wishes, and I'll let you know if we go for the holidays. Otherwise, keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep posting - I've written more before leaving than I thought I would; the intention is to have the majority of the blog be about my experiences there! But I also thought I would be there by now. If PC gives mosquito nets in Morocco, they should in countries where there are actually mosquitoes. Unless they are affected by budget cuts. Plus I know better than to have expectations - if I get one I get one; if not, I may get one. As for the poverty, I am sad thinking about it, but I guess better sad than indifferent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am contacting you concerning The World Log (http://theworldlog.org/), a web platform that spreads user generated content related to development cooperation to larger audiences.

    The Swedish International Development Coorporation Agency (Sida) has developed the on-line platform to bring the general public closer to the realities of development work throughout the world and to involve them in the issues. The target audiences for the site are professionals, people involved in development issues and the general public. The goal of the platform is to raise awareness and generate discussion prior to, during and after the European Development Days in Stockholm this October, and to engage the general public in the debate and questions of international development. The World Log is bringing the tools of the 21st century to bare on the issues to be discussed .

    The World Log shows real stories and discussions from development work around the world in an easily accessible way. Entries are plotted on Google maps and marked up by topic, making your blog and others easliy available to those not versed in blog search tools. The platform will be heavily promoted during the European Development Days through several official sites such as the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the Swedish EU Presidency website and the Sida website. The goal of the platform is to drive as many people as possible to the actual blogs, such as yours, and engage them in actual development work discussions and activities from around the world.

    Registration for the site is free and will take roughly 10 minutes of your time. You can attach your blog by simply copying and pasting in your RSS feed into your World Log profile. You can set up standard tags for your entries, such as the country you are working in or writing about and the issues that you regularly address such as AIDS or water. This way when someone searches for articles, blogs and discussions about, for example, water, you will be part of the results. You can also add specific tags for specific articles. For example if you regularly write about agricultural development in Rwanda but write a blog entry about women's issues in Central Africa, you can tag that specific blog entry to reflect the different topic.

    The World Log is not limited to blogs alone. Newsletters, photos and videos are all supported and encouraged. All you need is the RSS feed. The platform also supports discussions and comments based on entries so that you can follow what your readers are saying. Readers who click on your entry are directed to your site so you register the hit. We have developed a widget that you can embed in your site if you wish your readers to see on-going discussions and topic on the World Log related to what you write about. And we also have badges that you can attach to your site to show your affiliation with the World Log. There are no strings attached, we do this to promote discussion and engage the public, though we encourage you to promote the site for your and others benefit.

    I really hope that you will consider being a part of the discussion. You are passionate about the issues and development (which is why I am contacting you) and so are we. I can send you the conditions of use and more detailed information about the site including an easy to use set up guide. If you would like help setting up your account, I would be happy to assist you and if you have any questions, please ask.

    The World Log is an opportunity for you to reach new readers and have your voice heard in the build up to, during and after the European Development Days conference.

    Thank you for your help and time
    Lars Hansen
    larsworldlog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Normally I would delete unsolicited comments such as the one above, but it seems potentially interesting so I am leaving it here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am probably leaving for the Philippines on June 16th as a PCRV.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete