Friday, July 31, 2009

Philippines in the News

This morning, Corazon Aquino passed away. She had been ill for a while; since we have been here, yellow ribbons for her were tied to lampposts, office computers – anything that can have something tied to it. The first woman president of the Philippines, she was associated with People Power, the spontaneous movement into the streets after Marcos stole the 1986 election – which was three years after Aquino’s husband was assassinated upon arrival at the airport. She was much beloved.

The second woman president of the Philippines, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, is the daughter of a previous president. She came to power after a second People Power deposed her predecessor. She is known as GMA – there are lots of acronyms here. Yesterday, she visited President Obama in Washington. By law, she cannot run again, but the person whose term she finished is talking about campaigning. Election time here can be one of unrest – last time, the some of the PCVs were on lockdown. I will be gone by election time in 2010.

Right now, Tropical Storm Jolina is hitting the islands. There are heavy winds where some of the other PCRVs went, but here it is just rain – heavy rain last night and rain all day today. It didn’t stop me from getting some items for my abode – mostly kitchen and cleaning supplies. The budget-busters (I was given a small settling-in allowance and have already overspent – and I still want to get a lamp and maybe an inexpensive but comfy reading chair) were a non-stick pan and a blender. I came home and gave everything a good scrubbing and I feel much better. I haven’t bought any food yet though so I am not quite good to go, but it will be nice to stop eating out and to start cooking for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment