Wednesday, July 1, 2009

UNESCO World Heritage Sites

Well, I thought about it when I wrote about UNESCO World Heritage sites in travelsintheoffseason.blogspot.com, and then I mentioned it a couple of posts ago, so here is the list of World Heritage Sites in the Philippines. The state- and ballpark-visitor in me wants to see all of them, but we’ll see. More if and when I do, of course, but for now, just the list, with some explanation excerpted from the UNESCO World Heritage Centre web site:

Baroque Churches of the Philippines – one of these is in Manila, the other three elsewhere (I need to learn my Philippine geography!) - their unique architectural style is a reinterpretation of European Baroque by Chinese and Philippine craftsmen. There are five more Baroque churches on the tentative list (along with more than 25 other places – those I won’t list unless I visit, but they include marine, mountain, archeological, other churches and colonial sites, and mummy burial caves!).

Historic Town of Vigan - Established in the 16th century, Vigan is the best-preserved example of a planned Spanish colonial town in Asia. Its architecture reflects the coming together of cultural elements from elsewhere in the Philippines, from China and from Europe, resulting in a culture and townscape that have no parallel anywhere in East and South-East Asia. This is on the same island as Manila, so it’s within reach.

Puerto-Princesa Subterranean River National Park - This park features a spectacular limestone karst landscape with an underground river. One of the river's distinguishing features is that it emerges directly into the sea, and its lower portion is subject to tidal influences. The area also represents a significant habitat for biodiversity conservation. The site contains a full 'mountain-to-sea' ecosystem and has some of the most important forests in Asia. Not especially near where I will be but this sounds interesting (I just can’t go in the fresh water!).

Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras - The Ifugao Rice Terraces are the priceless contribution of Philippine ancestors to humanity. Built 2000 years ago, reaching a higher altitude and being built on steeper slopes than many other terraces, the Ifugao complex of stone or mud walls and the careful carving of the natural contours of hills and mountains to make terraced pond fields, coupled with the development of intricate irrigation systems, harvesting water from the forests of the mountain tops, and an elaborate farming system, reflect a mastery of engineering that is appreciated to the present [sic]. Also on the same island as Manila; I loved seeing the rice terraces in Indonesia so I think I would like this too!

Tubbataha Reef Marine Park - It is a unique example of an atoll reef with a very high density of marine species, with a nesting site for birds and marine turtles. An excellent example of a pristine coral reef. This one I may not be able to get to, unless I take up diving – and right now I feel more inclined to pursue a yoga class.

No comments:

Post a Comment