Saturday, August 1, 2009

Home Sweet Home

The Director of Resource Development (who I think is my supervisor’s boss, though I have yet to see an org chart), hereon in to be referred to as Sir Tony, told Milo that I wasn’t going to Bridgeport – I mean Taguig – after all; he had another place in mind that was much closer to transportation. In his “spare time,” he manages a building, and there was a room there. Milo came over to inspect it with me, declared it a good room, and without looking at the Taguig option, I took it – much closer to the office, close to the train, in an urban (though not charming) neighborhood with a drugstore, small supermarket, banks and fast food options. A 30-minute walk to a mall as opposed to a 30-minute jeepney ride. I put my stuff down and Sir Tony took me to a hypermarket to pick up a few more things – it was hard to know what I wanted without spending more than a few minutes in the room, but I knew I wanted a mattress for the top of the bunk so that I could use it as another place to sit and for guests – plus I got a big bottle of water, a set of hooks for the back of the door, a basket for taking toiletries to the outside bathroom, and some paper for same (they call it a comfort room here, or CR).

So – my room – bunk bed (as I unwrapped the foam pad I thought of Dr. Hamid saying, “you must get a good mattress”) – bed on the bottom (with a nice shelf above it for books), “couch” on the top (I put the storebought pillows up there and my soft one on the bed), desk and chair, small dresser. As a nice touch, there are two plants – it’s nice to have something to water again after almost three years without! There’s air conditioning (shh – maybe I shouldn’t say anything) but no window – well, there’s a small one with louvers above the air conditioner, so at least I can get ventilation when I’m out and see if it’s day or night. Maybe it’s better that nobody can look in, but it’s weird that I can’t look out. I put the toiletries, manuals and magazines in the dresser and for now have my clothes in the suitcase – it seems easier that way – and the things I’d like locked up, locked up in the small rolling bag. I already mentioned getting some kitchen and cleaning supplies. Today Sir Tony brought by a (used) refrigerator and a new microwave (he offered me a TV and I said no – it would be nice to know the local news but it just seems wrong!) – I don’t know if I’ll really use it, but he insisted; there’s a hot plate for me in the other room too. No sink – I have to go to the office to use the one in the back there. I think it’ll be okay. Need some sort of organizer for the kitchen stuff (I’m thinking plastic shelves) and it would be great to get a comfy chair and some decorations for the walls.

Here’s where the lack of cross-cultural training hurts – I don’t know if this is typical Filipino (the shared kitchen and bathroom), I don’t know the etiquette (but I can guess), I don’t know what typical PCV housing looks like or what people get with their settling-in allowance. One of the PCVs volunteered to be a resource and already she has answered some of those questions; Milo told me my accommodations were among the nicest that the PRCVs have (Charlie told me he and Jonathan have 120 square feet and bunk beds with no mattresses – for now; Sir Tony asked me if the next Habitat PCRV could share with me and I told him the room’s too small). Anyway, it will take some getting used to, but I am already adjusting and feeling more at home!

5 comments:

  1. Isn't this a step down from your PCV apartment? Now you have no real window, no kitchen, and no bathroom? Where do you cook? Sounds like a college dorm room without the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's more than a step down - it might be an entire flight. I also didn't mention that there's no hot water in the shower - that alone might account for half a flight! I haven't cooked yet (which is getting old) - but I will have a hot plate. I think I can cook in the little room behind the office, which has a sink, or I can cook in my room and then take my things to the sink to wash them. Still thinking that over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. it feels like that too - also without a closet or needed shelf space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the office in the same building? Or are you referring to your regular office some distance away? Why weren't you given a regular apartment like you were in Morocco? It reminds me of the dorm room I stayed (and cooked in) over the summer between junior and senior year, with no sink, but at least there were lots of windows and closets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The office is in an office building a jeepney ride and then bus ride away. The host agency (that is, Habitat, not Peace Corps) was responsible for giving me a place to live. My sense is that a regular apartment would be too expensive. Maybe this is how the people I am supposed to be living in the manner of living live.

    ReplyDelete