Sunday, August 9, 2009

How the Other One Percent Lives

Yesterday was the first time I felt the effects of the heat and humidity – the cold shower felt great, and I drank a lot of water when I got home. But I’m not complaining – floods and landslides from the heavy rains of Kiko caused deaths in the north near Mt. Pinatubo. As for me, I decided to do something air-conditioned today (other than go to a mall).

I went to Makati City today, the classy part of town, which the postal clerk had accurately described as being like Manhattan (I hope my package gets here soon, by the way – it’s been three weeks. I probably should have sent myself a letter, too, to test how long it would take. Not that I’ll get any mail!). Here is where I felt the culture shock. It was quiet – no heavy traffic, no jeepneys (only taxis, all lined up), no honking horns. Wide, smooth sidewalks. Tall buildings, landscaping, fountains. Other foreigners. Green spaces! This is the area where all of the luxury hotels are, where there are even more malls, where the expats live and work. What a bubble! Do I want to get involved in the expat community? There really wasn’t an accessible one to me in Morocco. But here, it could potentially mean job leads, friends, maybe even dating. But that would mean time away from my community (where people are getting to know me, if not I them yet); it just doesn’t feel right to be spending a lot of time there while I am in the Peace Corps. On the other hand, it is a nearby escape any time I want it.

I went to the Ayala Museum, which was as well-put-together as any museum in the U.S. They had three special exhibits – one on archaeological pottery found in the Philippines, mostly from China via the Maritime Silk Road, one on archaeological gold found on the islands and the jewelry and ornaments made from it, and one on costumes of the (Spanish) colonial period, all very interesting. An entire floor was devoted to the career of a Philippine painter – interesting to see the different influences that shaped him. And then there’s a permanent exhibit of dioramas of Philippine history – I’ll have to go back another time for the audio tour, but the dioramas were interesting enough without the explanation. I did watch the multi-media shows on the Marcos era and on People Power, which reinforced how amazing both Corazon Aquino and, even more, her husband Ninoy were – as well as the power of democracy. It was a wonderful museum day!

And something else nice, from yesterday – one of the regular PCVs who was in the Peace Corps office invited us PCRVs to their Thanksgiving gathering – it’s a Peace Corps Philippines tradition. They take over a hostel near the rice terraces and spend the weekend hiking and such, complete with turkey dinner. It’s bigger than Christmas, which many PCVs spend with their host families or in their villages. Bahala na, count me in!

No comments:

Post a Comment