Saturday, August 1, 2009

On to our Final Sites

On Thursday morning, we all went to the US Embassy – a historic building from 1940, though I didn’t get to read the entire plaque. The postal clerk said that Taguig was rural, and Mercedes told me it was like Bridgeport, Connecticut. I haven’t been by that way in a while, but from what I remember, Bridgeport doesn’t look all that interesting from the train – I asked Mercedes about it again and that’s how she meant it. Well, hanging in the embassy was a portrait of a family from Bridgeport, Connecticut that came to the Philippines in the 1800s! We were there for a security briefing with the Regional Security Officer. He said he usually tells expats not to get into the jeepneys – but of course that’s how we’ll be getting around! Overall, he seemed like a good guy. The ambassador here is a career officer who is very well-liked; she travels all over the country. We may be invited to the embassy holiday party – another change from Morocco!

And then it was time to say goodbye – we checked out of the pension and left Mary behind; due to high seas she was advised to stay an extra day and take a ferry in the morning. We went to the Peace Corps office and got our IDs, ATM cards and life vests and Mercedes left us; she had friends taking her to lunch and then the airport. The guys left next, although they were still waiting downstairs for Charlie’s bag when my turn came – I rushed out of the office without saying goodbye to PCVs I had been talking to in the lounge or any of the staff – for the best, maybe.

All of the other agencies had signed Memoranda of Understanding with the Peace Corps long ago, but due to the conflicting schedules of the Habitat for Humanity Philippines CEO and the Peace Corps Country Director, the one for my job hadn’t happened yet, so I was able to witness it. The Habitat people put together a really good (homemade) video and (better than I probably could have made) Power Point presentation, and then we had the signing. I met everyone in the office; though I’ll have to learn the names again – I am the third Sharon! I didn’t talk much about language yet, but they pronounce a e i o u as the Spanish do, no exceptions, so I am Sha-rone, equal emphasis on each syllable (as opposed to She-reen!).

4 comments:

  1. But do they have a Barnum Museum like Bridgeport? I'll bet that would knock their socks off!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I said that when i got back I would have to go to Bridgeport just for comparison. I also have to ask what my new locale, Pasig, relates to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridgeport's the Connecticut end of the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson Ferry, so you'll have to take a ride over!

    ReplyDelete