Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Malled Out

Yesterday I thought I might go back to the hypermarket and get a lamp and an extra sheet (laundry takes overnight whether I send it out or not, so it would be nice to have another sheet). Hanna told me I could get what I needed at the mall. I couldn’t easily find anything in my price range (actually, I never saw a twin fitted sheet, period) so I thought I would go to the hypermarket today. I’d have to take a taxi – Hanna told me to try the MegaMall, which is behind the Shangri-La mall. It’s not working for me. I did find a bowling alley and skating rink, but that was little consolation. Tomorrow, bahala na, I will go to the hypermarket. I am Malled Out – actually, I was that first day. Sure, I don’t mind going back to CPK if I need a treat, and it has first-run movies if there’s anything I want to see, but I did not come here to spend my time in malls! On the other hand, going to the mall did get me out. I do need to get out.

I’m working, too – I started making some prospect lists and started to tap my own networks for ideas. Now I’m making my way through the health manual (I read that they will provide vitamins C, B and calcium in addition to the multi-vitamins they already gave us – so I requested them) and doing a little language as well. I also have a duck not in a row – I covered my move with all of the banks but not with Merrill Lynch, through whom all my bills are paid. I had told my broker, but not the online people, and when I went online to pay a bill I was shut out. I tried to call – couldn’t call the toll-free number from here. Had to wait to hear from my broker with another number. I now have to wait for more information – the 12-hour time difference means it takes a day to get an answer. Not worried about it though. It’s actually pretty remarkable that I can do so much online – the economy truly is global.

Best new product I have found so far: roll-less CR paper. That is, it’s still in rolls, but without the cardboard core. There are no rollers in the CR, so I have to bring it back and forth. Why have all that cardboard? I think it’s ingenious!

I also read in the health manual that if I take the malaria prophylaxis (which I will when I get out of Manila) I can’t donate blood for three years! I knew it was a year for malarial areas period, but I guess this medication stays in the system for a while! The mosquitoes here are getting more and more resistant, too.

The health manual also mentions a lot about diving and the different hazards one might encounter. The Coastal Reef Management sector people dive as part of their jobs, but that aside, the Philippines is known for its diving. I went diving once and loved it. Then I went a second time and – between the swimming pool day and the boat day – I didn’t want to go anymore. All right, I kind of freaked myself out. I know it was irrational – after all, I did it once; I know I can do it. I’ve never experienced that feeling about anything else. Maybe this time period is the time to get over it and dive again. We’ll see. First I have to get out of the city of malls!

The people at work (still not used to saying that) were very excited to hear that we would be here through Christmas – decorations and carols on the radio start in September. I did read in Culture Shock that Christmas is a huge deal and that everyone is in a happier mood through the extended Christmas season. Yay, extended decorations and carols and malls! I guess I will make up for two Christmases in a Muslim country and one in a Buddhist country (albeit one that decorates and has Christmas parties). Sir Tony suggested I come to the office every Monday for the morning devotional – I’m keeping an open mind about that, but I did ask if I would have to do anything religious and was told no…. Both he and my counterpart were out yesterday, so I didn’t go in – I guess next Monday I’ll see what it’s all about.

And especially for any Peace Corps Morocco people reading this – the Philippines volunteers have 100% response rate to the annual survey. Morocco couldn’t even get to the 75% threshold! Tsk, tsk. Also check out volunteerpedia.wikispaces.com – a very nice resource they put together here. Morocco kept trying but losing momentum. And I have already mentioned the lapel pins! Talking with the other PRCVs about their liberal out-of-site policies and their warm relationships with their staff made me feel – well, maybe somewhat cheated, though of course overall I am very happy I was in Morocco and wouldn’t trade it for anything else I’ve heard about or seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment