Thursday, October 29, 2009

Coming Up: Rest and Relaxation

Halloween is for kids here, not so much for adults – the same decorations and costumes you see in the US are available here (I haven’t seen as much candy, but I am told that kids do trick-or-treat). All Saints Day/Day of the Dead, November 1, is a major holiday in the Philippines – families spend the day, with major feasts, at cemeteries, honoring their departed loved ones. If I had a host family, I might have gone with them. When we toured the Chinese cemetery, the guide suggested that we come back for it – until that point, I wasn’t sure if it would be all right to come as an observer as opposed to a guest – but by that point I’d already made plans.

It’s back to Mindoro! Monday is a holiday, so it’ll be nice to be there for a long weekend. Whether there are any Halloween festivities with the boys or All Saints Day participation there remains to be seen. How much hiking we do also remains to be seen – Mary has been getting over an infection in her foot for about two weeks now – but even if we (provided she is healed) just swim and sit on the beach it’ll be great to get away. There was a clear night earlier this week in Manila – I think the first time since I’ve been here that there was a cloudless sky – and I saw a star; quite a contrast from seeing a sky full of stars, including the Milky Way, from Mary’s site! Julie and I are going – she and Mary both served in Macedonia so it will be fun to introduce them to each other! Julie has been here since the second week of September and hasn’t been to the beach yet! Typhoon Santi is on the way…I hope it doesn’t affect our ability to cross the passage.

I’ve reviewed all the Stairway materials in case there’s an opportunity to talk to the founders. They have a great residential program for the boys, but when I met with Lars he mentioned wanting to do more marketing of the advocacy part of their work. They’ve put together a package of animated videos – one of incest, one of pedophilia, and one of sex trafficking – to make it easier to discuss these issues. The award-winning package is a gentle way to approach the subjects – that is, if there is a gentle way. All three of those are so terrible – it amazes me that humans can treat each other this way, especially children. I think it would be fun to get work-related leave to do some consulting with them, or that they could use their own Peace Corps Response Volunteer! I don’t know if I’ll get the chance (I have so much to do with Habitat!) but I’m glad I studied the materials and I’m glad to be able to support Stairway by staying there (the price is a small contribution) and buying some pasalubong from them (you all want dreamcatcher keychains, right?).

After that, I’m going to a spa! There was some boxed text in Lonely Planet that mentioned that spas are a growing business in the Philippines. I asked Mary if she was interested in going to one and she’s coming along (I asked Julie too but she passed)! We frequently text and email, and I’m really looking forward to spending more time with her. Check out www.thefarm.com.ph - it’s conveniently located between Mindoro and Metro Manila. Our package is called Midweek at the Farm and includes:
• arrival welcome drinks
• 3 days/2 nights stay in a villa suite
• guided walking tour of The Farm
• live blood analysis with a medical doctor
• choice of two 60-minute spa treatments (relaxation massage, reflexology massage, anti-stress facial, little yin yang dry brushing – I haven’t decided on my two yet, but since I haven’t even heard of dry brushing, I might have to do that one!)
• three-course healthy gourmet meals (note – vegan – can it make up for the other 180-odd nights of mall food?)
• use of The Farm facilities: swimming pool, library, gym and meditation lounges/pavilions
• participation in complimentary morning and afternoon yoga sessions
I probably would have gone for a day on my own, just to experience another aspect to the Philippines, but not for the three-day package if not for Mary. I’ll be gone from Saturday morning through Wednesday night. These plans have been in the works for a while and I’m so looking forward to it!
P.S. There’s no time change in the Philippines. Enjoy falling back!

No comments:

Post a Comment