Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hong Kong - Part Two

It is easy to get from the Hong Kong airport into town – there’s a train; from there I took a hotel bus that dropped me near Vincent’s office. He met me and took me back there to show me all of the things his company sources; he also gave me a moon cake, which is a specialty made only this time of year, for a festival (not only is the moon festival soon, but October 1 is National Day, the 60th anniversary of the People’s Republic of China – I would have liked the fireworks and other celebrations but it was fun enough to see the signs and the setup). He had some work to do before he could take a lunch break, so he recommended I take a tram (double-decker, first built in the 1800s) to the end – it went from the business district to a residential one, and it was interesting to see the buildings change from modern skyscrapers to more dilapidated high-rises, with clotheslines and neighborhood stores. At the end of the line I went to a market and a temple, and then I tool the tram back and met Vincent for Western food.

Then it was on to the Peak. I took a different sort of tram (again, first built in the 1800s and still the steepest funicular in the world) to the top – breathtaking views of the city and harbor. So many buildings – but also so much green, with the mountains in the backdrop. From the top, one can take a walk around the peak – 40-60 minutes with stops – on a tree-lined path with not only that postcard-shot city view but also outer islands and the setting sun. My timing was perfect – as I got around to the tram again, the city lights were coming on, and I was able to see the view both in the day and at night.

Back down from the Peak, I waited for Vincent at the (original!) Mandarin Oriental hotel (afternoon tea, there or at one of the other hotels, is on the list for next time). We then went outside to see the Symphony of Lights – every night at 8:00 pm, several buildings on both sides of the harbor have lights that twinkle, sparkle, dance, change color, and shine spotlights into the sky. I loved it! Then we went to a nearby mall (there are lots of malls there too) for a Cantonese dinner – subtly-spiced but flavorful – everything cooked just so, made from quality ingredients. My favorite was the roast chicken. This was followed by a walk in the nightlife part of town, Lan Kwai Fong – expats from different countries frequent different bars, and everyone spills into the streets. We walked by on our way to Soho (South of Hollywood – to get there you take the world’s longest escalator) – to some excellent gelato.

No comments:

Post a Comment