Monday, October 26, 2009

Consolidation Drill

Things were moving right along last week. I finished building the list of Habitat for Humanity USA affiliates – that took much longer than I thought it would, but it’s good that I did it, because it’s possible nobody else would have ever had the time to do it. The list is much bigger than I thought it would be, which is also good. I’m still compiling the list of Filipino-American organizations; this work doesn’t require my full brain wattage, so it’s been perfect to do in the mornings while listening to the baseball playoffs.

I also had a meatier assignment, to help prepare cover letters for the now-ready-to-go funding proposal for the EU (European Union) and UNDP (United Nations Development Programme). This required some research into what they fund and how, so that I could target the letters. Even more exciting, I was invited to come with the Co-Chair of Friends of Habitat (the former Miss Universe) to the UNDP presentation.

I was preparing for that when we got the call from our warden – consolidation exercise; drop everything and go to the consolidation point. It was somewhat disruptive (in addition to the UNDP meeting, I had made pasta sauce the night before and hadn’t had time for yoga that morning – in other words, a busy afternoon and evening ahead!) but I take these things seriously – just in the time since I joined Peace Corps, they’ve evacuated several countries – Georgia, Bolivia, Kenya (those volunteers went back), Mauritania, Guinea and maybe others I am not thinking of now.

There are many steps to the Emergency Action Plan, consolidation being the final one before evacuation. We never had a consolidation exercise in Morocco but we had several other tests – cell phone drills and land line drills – and a couple of times I had to call people in my warden group to report a terrorism incident or see if people were all right after flash floods.

If we were really headed for consolidation, we would have packed two weeks’ worth of clothes and everything we would have wanted with us in case we weren’t going back to our sites. For the exercise, I brought clean underwear, my t-shirt-and-shorts PJs, and toiletries. I forgot my passport – the most important thing! – but to my credit I remembered it right away and texted my warden to find out whether I should go back for it or not (she said no, but I probably should have, because I felt that as a former warden I should live up to my own high standards). Our consolidation point was the pension where we stayed when we first arrived – ironically, my second time there in a week; I had come down on Wednesday morning to have breakfast with Travis, who was COSing. I hadn’t seen the PRCV guys in a while so it was nice to spend some time with them; also met some of the current PCVs whom I hadn’t met yet (including the ones who have volunteered for our Habitat for Humanity build week, now rescheduled for the week of November 16!). We had a really good meeting with the Peace Corps staff member who checked us in and the Regional Safety and Security Director. It’s interesting to think about all of the issues involved in keeping volunteers safe.

When we arrived, Mary, Mercedes and I shared the air-conditioned room. Now that we’ve been here a while, no more of that – instead, it was the dorm room, where there are eight sets of bunk beds. It’s not easy for me to sleep with that much karma in the room, but it was nice to take a hot shower!

It actually worked out well that I was at the pension, since I was planning to be in the area the next day. I walked over to the Embassy Bazaar – looking for (and finding) some craft items that might make lovely pasalubong (items that you bring home for people after you travel) and/or lovely things for myself! I also went to the Kultura Filipino store in the Mega Mall to buy some items I had scoped out earlier. I know not to leave all my shopping until the end! I’m not going crazy, though – so far everything I’ve bought will fit in one box.

3 comments:

  1. How long do you have to stay at the consolidation point? Do they give you a certain amount of time to go home and get your things? I guess in an evacuation drill, you wouldn't get to go home to get your things, right? Also, why wasn't your passport with you? When I'm overseas, it's on my person at all times. Of course as an American, maybe it's better not to be identified as such if you're taken captive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We stayed overnight for the drill. You are supposed to have an evacuation bag ready but realistically, in both Morocco and here, I don't have enough spare clothes for that. You are supposed to pack and get there as soon as possible (they do time you). If it were an actual consolidation and possible evacuation, you would pack as if you were not planning back to your home, leaving instructions for your things - what gets sent home, what gets given away and to whom - and Peace Corps staff would take care of it (so the other thing not to forget is your house keys) and for those in communities, maybe say goodbye - so it actually would have taken more time. There are no evacuation drills - consolidation drill is the closest - and yes, you would go home to pack, assuming you could reach it. I always carried my passport in Morocco but Peace Corps advice here (not sure why; maybe pickpockets) is keep it in a safe place at home and carry a photocopy (which I do - so I would be identified).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. Makes sense. At least you're carrying a photocopy. Most countries require people to carry "papers" on them at all times. We're very lax about that in the U.S. There's really no requirement of any kind. I guess a lot of that has to do with our geographical isolation from most other countries. Also explains our lack of knowledge of other languages.

    ReplyDelete