Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hong Kong - Part Four

On Sunday morning I went for a swim in Repulse Bay. I had brought my rubber gloves and a trash bag, but there was no trash to clean up! The wind was blowing from the wrong direction for trash, but even so, Vincent says there isn’t a lot (maybe it gets caught in the shark nets?). He went for a run and I walked to the next beach over for another great view – the bay, high-rises on our side, islands all around.

We then went to brunch at Stanley, another town on the south side of Hong Kong Island, this one with a market and with bayside eateries. We ate Vietnamese in an old colonial building that had been taken apart when they built one of the modern high-rises and relocated – sitting on the porch in rattan chairs looking out at the water, with iced Vietnamese coffee and four dishes – all with different flavors, standing out yet blending together. I think this was my favorite meal of a weekend where I ate very well! We were joined by the stepson of a Princeton friend (who is himself a Princeton PhD – so maybe class notes-worthy) and his wife. Vincent went off to a meeting, and the other three of us shopped in Stanley market for a bit. Hong Kong is known for its markets as well as its other shopping (I’ve always heard it was a good place to get a suit tailor-made – but now I hope not to have to ever wear suits!). I bought a few things, but shopping is also on the list for another trip (as are trips to the outer islands – more temples, more history, more nature – and maybe Macao?).

The bus ride from Stanley up over the hill back into town is billed as quite a roller-coaster ride – it was fun and had some more great views. I then went back to the historic part and to Hong Kong Park, where I raced through the Museum of Teaware (which is located in the oldest remaining colonial building), the conservatory (supposedly the largest in the world) and the walk-through aviary (both that and the tea museum could have used more time – the aviary had over 600 birds of all sizes, shapes and colors and it was a pity to rush). Then it was back to Causeway Bay to meet Vincent – so crowded! I guess it was good to experience it crowded to see what it was really like, but I didn’t want to stay for dinner. We went to a healthy food court and (so much for healthy) had more gelato – and then it was time to go.

I’ve tried to keep this account to a reasonable word count but I could go on – I had such a great time. First of all, it was good to be with a friend – so much to talk about. And to realize a day that was long in coming. More, it was good to be out of the Philippines for a change of pace. And in a clean, modern, Western/Eastern city. And to do all of the things I/we did! I don’t know if I’ll get back there before my time here in Asia is finished – I’d do it soon in a heartbeat but Vincent is headed into a busy season – but I’d like to think I am going back (my sister points out that I always say that – that’s because I always feel that way about places and especially people I visit!).

No comments:

Post a Comment